I just bought the brand new Windows 10 IOT Kit, a joint venture from Microsoft and ADAFRUIT. Do you want to see its content and get first impressions from it?
Windows 10 Kit: Content
This is a very complete kit, presented in an small black box, with ADAFRUIT and Windows logo on top of it.
- Raspberry Pi 2 Model B: The heart of the IOT. The Pi board. Do you already have one? There is also a kit without board.
- 8GB class 10 SD/MicroSD Memory Card w/ Windows 10 -IOT: One SD with Windows 10 IOT already installed on it. Plug&Play!
- Ada fruit Raspberry Pi B+ Case – Smoke Base / Clear Top: Small box for Pi with clear top to see what’s running inside your toy.
- Full Size Breadboard: Wire connections made easy for lab environments. Now in full size for larger projects!
- Premium Male/Male Jumper Wires – 20 x 6″ (150mm): Cables to wire your Pi with the Breadboard. Of course!
- Premium Female/Male ‘Extension’ Jumper Wires – 20×6″: Need extra length cable? No worries, an extra cable extension comes also in.
- Miniature WiFi Module – Official Raspberry Pi Edition: No ethernet connection? Neither a problem. Just plug this WiFi module to a Pi’s USB port and use your wireless connection.
- 5V 2A Switching Power Supply w/ 6′ MicroUSB Cable: Hardware needs power, and the kit comes with an American power supply plug. Do you live in a country with a different plug? Lets buy an adapter, a power supply with the right plug or “DIY” one with an SmartPhone USB power supply (5.2v, 1A. e.g. iPhone) and an Micro USB cable.
- Assembled Adafruit BMP280 Temperature & Humidity sensor: Temperature, pression and humidty sensor. All you need to create your IoT weather station!
- Assembled TCS34725 RGB Color Sensor: Curios, a sensor for “digitalising” in RGB the object’s color you put in front off.
- MCP3008 – 8 Channel 10-Bit ADC With SPI Interface: Analogic control chip for Raspberry Pi.
- Ethernet Cable – 5 foot long: A network cable:D
Windows 10 IOT Kit power supply comes with American plug. Lets buy an adapter, a power supply with the right plug or “DIY” one with an SmartPhone USB power supply (5.2v, 1A. e.g. iPhone) and an Micro USB cable.
Some electronic components are also included in the package:
- 1x Photo Cell: I heard Automatic room light control? 😀
- 2x Breadboard Trim Potentiometer
- 5x 10K 5% 1/4W Resistor
- 5x 560 ohm 5% 1/4W Resistor
- 1x Diffused 10mm Blue LED
- 1x Electrolytic Capacitor – 1.0uF
- 1x Diffused 10mm Red LED
- **1x **Diffused 10mm Green LED
- 3x 12mm Tactile Switches
If you are planning to make the purchase, find also next some newbie tricks about Windows 10 IOT Kit:
- Customs Declarations: Adafruit is New York (USA) based. Once the shipment reach the destination country you’ll need to clear customs declarations. For Spain it was, +35,00 € (VAT + Carrier Taxes).
- Power supply for your country: Again. Otherwise you won’t be able to turn on your IOT Kit.
- You’ll need USB mouse and keyboard: During the first boot, Windows 10 IOT will ask for some settings (country, region, time one…). You’ll need this peripherals to make the choices.
My opinion on W10 IOT Kit
You can buy your components in both physical or on-line store. In the latter you’ll need to make a good purchase to prevent shipping costs to trick you.
But, if you look a fast way to get into the IOT world, and money is not a problem at all, this is you best option for sure!
In the next post we will turn on this pretty Windows 10 IOT machine, implementing the “Blinky” project.